2009-12-03

//Phrazes for the Young//

I like U2, The Killers, and Julian Casablancas.
So back by popular demand is my life - in english. I have been using my blog for a grade in my chinese class. So sorry for all those emails saying that "bradford has a new post". Then, to your dismay, discover that it's all in chinese. That's going to stop for at least a month. Hopefully more.
What should I publish over the internet that the entire world could possibly see? Dang, if you google my name, you can only find this guy -->http://www.facebook.com/people/Brady-Knight/1623950057 -- that's just too bad. In that case, here goes
I put my facebook status to "today is one of those days that needs to be COMPLETELY recorded in your journal...every nick and cranny of the day must be looked at. i'm off to write a novel!" Unfortunately that never happened. Anyone surprised? Expected from a 21 year old boy. Here's why it was a noteworthy Day
I went to Cafe Rio for lunch with my best friend Kirby and his wife Lindsay. While we were there, I was complaining about how the last 3 girls i've taken on dates all kinda gave me the shaft. I was down. Very pessimistic about the females in the world. Just then, as I was drinking all the rest of my glass of soda, Kirby notices that his friend Jasmine (he knew her in H.S. and his brother took her on a couple of dates a while back) was sitting at the other table. He told me that i should go get her number and ask her out. Since I was wallowing in my grief and didn't want to (Kirby tried to set me up with his other friend who was "SUPER awesome and compatible with me) because of past experience, I declined. I declined. I declined. I whisper shouted, "KIRBY, SIT DOWN,". Then after trying to drink the already drained cup of soda (I was desperate to try to disappear from inside that restaurant), I scrounged for things to give me the appearance of being busy. It started with the obvious - cell phone, poke my food, drink the here before mentioned empty drink - and I didn't even once look over. If I did, I already knew my fate - instant death by humiliation. I could see it all playing out in my head - Scott: "Hey Jasmine! I thought that was you!" Jasmine: "Scott! Hey! Aren't you married?" Scott: "Why yes I am but my friend over there isn't and he thinks you're really really cute!" Jasmine: "Your friend, over THERE? So what if he thinks I'm cute. He's over THERE. Not over here," (all the meanwhile I'm poking my food, texting, and drinking an empty glass all with expert precision).
Kirby came back to the table with a look of pure glee on his face holding a torn piece of napkin and said "You owe me Brady." And to my dismay, the torn napkin had one word and 10 numbers. I wanted to die. I didn't even think I was going to make it out of the building without passing out from too much blood in the face.
I wanted to kill Kirby. I couldn't believe what he'd done! Both he and his wife had different plans and on the way back up to campus, they attempted to persuade my undeviating mind that the whole situation was being looked on in an entirely different light from Jasmine's perspective. I refused to believe it and retired to a couch in the student center only to experience pleadings and tauntings from the content enemy. Kirby and Lindsay forced me to text Jasmine and ask her to the basketball game. While my heavy fingers slowly pounded 4-4-3-3-9-9-9-space-5-2-7-7-7-7-6-4-4-4-6-6-3-3 to start off my text, they hurriedly looked up what pictures of Jasmine on their facebook accounts. After I "asked" her if she was busy the following night (Wednesday) and hit send, the enforcers discovered, to my dismay, that Jasmine's birthday was, you named it, on the following night (Wednesday). However, with the text already sent, my fate had already been etched into the bleak stone of my life.
Shortly following the panicky swoosh of a clean sleeve wiping sweat from my brow after a familiar "bzzz-bzzz-bzzz" was heard, the offer was accepted. Not with a simple "no, I'm not busy" or rejected with a humiliating "oh yeah, tomorrow I've got a study group for my pre-intro to conceptual theory math class" but rather, excitedly accepted with a "I would love to do something." It was better than just that, the message was even garnished with a stomach-turning-over "" at the end.
My day proceeded to get better. Chinese class was a roaring success, the sun came out, the FREEZING Logan weather seemed cheerful, not spine shivering. The more I thought about it, the more excited I got for the following day. She even offered to bring hot chocolate to the date (why you may ask? Because we went to the USU - BYU game and the line to get into the Spectrum has been formed 2 days before the game)! This girl seemed to be too good to be true!!! Well she was way good and not too good and it was true! That was a good day.
Now, how did the date go? I'm all blogged out for the day. You'll have to exercise patience like I did and just wait for the day to come. Man, I waited for a long time out in the COLD Logan December 2nd weather to get into that blasted arena. My left foot nearly got "bite"-en alive by mr frost, my scarf was begging me for another soldire to be at the front of the line against the battle with the infamous Old Main Hill Wind, and my nose is lucky to have made it out alive considering how much of his vital fluids he carelessly let "run" out of him. But once Jasmine made it to my now wearily defended spot in line, everything looked up. WAY up. We hit it right off and enjoyed ourselves the entire time USU proceeded to cook up their well deserved cougars on a silver platter. We had a blast. Nothing could have gone better (unless a sorely needed pair of winter worthy socks that were carelessly forgotten in the front seat of the car weren't forgotten). After a long day with a pretty girl and a fantastic time had by all, how could a freezing college boy not rush home and hurriedly look up the songs Even Better Than the Real Thing, Joy Ride, and Left and Right In the Dark and dance his way home in his carseat the whole time?

3 comments:

  1. Finally! English! So let's hope that this girl knows what's up and realizes quickly how cool my little bro is. You'll have to continue to keep us posted.
    BTW, is this one of the girls in the pic on facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. im loving this story!!! i must know the rest! im dying!! such a great writer B.

    Miss you. Ill be up for Kates wedding on the 12th, ill be sure to stop by. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, you ROCK! First, for posting in English. Second, for just being you. Third, for writing the story so I could see you "whisper yelling" at your friend and all that cool stuff. Fourth, for actually doing something with her. Jasmine sounds cool. WRITE MORE! :)

    ReplyDelete